Vocal Tuition and Music Making Workshops
"I would sign her [Ailsa] straight away, she has a terrific voice.”
Review in The Observer, April 1999
“Music is a great leveller – it is my firm belief that anyone can make music or sing, if given the right encouragement. Through my passion for singing combined with my technical training I hope to inspire everyone I work with.” - Ailsa
Music Making for Everyone!
Ailsa has a BA (Honours) degree in Popular Music and Recording. She specialises in composing, arranging, sound engineering, teaching music and running community choirs. She has full public liability insurance, First Aid for adults and Children, Level One ISA Safe-guarding training and CRB Enhanced clearance.
Emphasis is placed upon developing musicality through the exploration of sound and technique, providing a creative outlet for pupils and having fun.
Music Provision in Primary Schools
Ailsa has planned and delivered an exciting, varied music programme to children from the ages of 4 - 11. All work has tied into the national curriculum, whilst being flexible enough to accomodate the needs of the school, for example, tying into termly topics, planning for special events such as concerts and seasonal festivities.
- Making a Christmas carols CD featuring each class and the choir. Children designed the artwork for the sleeve and the final product was an excellent fundraiser.
- Making computer music and strange sounds for a "SpaceScape" - Music from outer space!
- Using a variety of instruments to create new and previously written music: Xylophones, percussion, household objects, shruti boxes, singing bowls, voices... Ailsa brings in "guest instruments from around the world for the children to experience
- Recorder Tuition: From year two children are offered the chance to learn what is often their first instrument. This gives children a window into ensemble playing and music reading and writing. Ailsa makes it fun and funky, aiming to give children a wonderful experience that will stay with them throughout their lives
- Ukulele Tuition: The chance for children to experience their first instument that plays chords. Ailsa encourages the pupils' creativity by offering them the chance to learn to play and create their own songs. The ukulele is relatively cheap, portable and easy to play. The teachers love it too!
- After-school Music Making: Singing groups and choirs for after school clubs.
Music for Parents and Children Summer Workshop (5 – 14 year olds)
A series of six sessions running on consecutive Saturdays incorporating games to inspire creativity and introductions to playing music and the recording process.
Hounslow Music Service
Planning and delivery of one to one vocal tuition and recorder groups in Primary and Secondary schools. ABRSM grades in voice and recorder and assistance with GCSE and A-level performances
Development and delivery of a singing module for BTec Acting students and singing workshops for BTec Music students.
Accrington Summer Splash: Urban Youth Sound System
Drop-in workshops enabling young people to experiment with modern music making techniques such as sampling, song-writing and playing instruments. Creating music about their environment, the young people recorded their creations that were then played at the Accrington Summer Festival
THULA MAMAS - SINGING WITH YOUR BABY
Thula Mama is a singing group for mums & babies.
We learn simple songs - lullabies, nursery songs, chants, songs from around the world and much more - in beautiful a-cappella harmony.
No experience necessary – for singers and “non-singers”
All from the comfort of Ailsa’s home, with tea, coffee, snacks and lovliness!